Just Moved to Washington

Procuring Vehicle Licensure Needs for New Residents

Moving to Washington

Did you recently move to Washington or are looking to move to Washington?

Moved to Washington State:

What do I need to register my car in Washington State?

  • Unexpired WADL
  • Out of state title
  • If your still making payments, we need a copy of title or copy of the electronic title from the legal owner
  • Current or previous out-of-state registration
  • Odometer statement on vehicles less than 10 years old
  • Certain cases may require additional documentation
Rainier Vehicle & Vessel Licensing. LLC

Things to know

  • First, you must get your Washington (WA) driver’s license, then register your vehicle(s). You have 30 days to do this after you’ve moved here.
  • We have different offices for driver licensing and vehicle licensing. You won’t be able to get your license and register your vehicle at the same place.
  • Everyone’s situation is different, call a vehicle licensing office to find out what your fees will be and exactly what you need to do.


  • Get a WA driver license
  • Find out what you need depending on your situation
  • Submit your forms and payment
  • Get your plates
  • Open a Good To Go! account, if needed


First, get your WA driver license then register your vehicle(s). You have 30 days once you establish residency here to get your driver's license, register your vehicle(s) and get new plates.

Call our office at (206) 723-9370 to find out what your fees will be and what you need to do next. You may also need to meet one or more of these requirements:

For 2011 and newer include an Odometer Disclosure Statement with your application. Because the Odometer Disclosure Statement form is printed on tamper-proof paper, it’s not available online and we can’t fax or email one to you. If you need a copy of the form, there are 3 ways to get it:

  • Pick one up at our vehicle licensing office.
  • Send a request with your name and mailing address to CustomerCare@dol.wa.gov. We’ll mail it to you within 2 business days.
  • Call (360) 902-3770. We’ll mail it to you within 2 business days.

That’s 2009 or newer:

  • Car
  • Light-duty truck
  • SUV
  • Passenger van

It must meet California emission standards to be registered, leased, rented, licensed, or sold for use in WA. See Clean Car emission requirements.
That’s been registered in another state and owned for less than 90 days.

  • Vehicle/Vessel Bill of Sale or
  • Dealership purchase agreement showing proof of any taxes paid.

Where the vehicle weight doesn’t show on the title.
You may be required to show the vehicle weight slip. You could get the weight from a vehicle licensing office or weigh your vehicle at a scale house in WA.
Where any owners listed on the title are deceased or need to be removed.
Contact a vehicle licensing office for instructions.
That’s an RV, motor home, or trailer.
You may be required to present proof of sales tax. If you don’t have proof, you’ll be required to pay use tax.
You may also want to find out about:

  • Personalized and special design plates
  • Off-road vehicles
  • Boats

Mail or bring the following to a vehicle licensing office:

  •  Vehicle Title Application.
    • In an office: Sign the form in front of the agent.
    • If you're mailing: Sign the form in front of a notary.
  • The current Certificate of Title of your vehicle.
    • Still making payments on your vehicle? Have your lending institution fax a copy of your title to a vehicle licensing office. Once it’s paid off, you can apply for a WA title.
    • If you don’t have the title, contact an office.
  • Payment for the fees — call a vehicle licensing office to find out what your fees will be.

If you go to an office, you’ll get them right away. If you mail in, it may take up to several weeks from the date your application is received.

Once you’ve registered your vehicle(s), you can add them to your License eXpress account. With License eXpress, you can manage all your vehicles:

If you travel these routes and need to pay tolls, you may also want to register for a Department of Transportation Good To Go! account:

  • SR 520 Bridge
  •  Tacoma Narrows Bridge
  • SR 167 HOT Lanes
  • I-405 Express Toll Lanes

Related information